Fossil Gen 5 is one of the best rated and most sophisticated Wear OS smartwatch that’s powered by the Snapdragon 3100 chip, while the Galaxy Watch Active 2 runs on Samsung’s proprietary Tizen 4.0 platform and also one of the best smartwatches you can find on the market. Each of these two has a remarkable design as well as designed to track your active life. The Active 2 is available in two sizes; 44mm and 40mm, and each of these sizes come in LTE or Bluetooth model. However, this comparison post compares the Fossil Gen 5 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 (44mm) to help you decide which of these two is a better bargain for you.
Fossil Gen 5 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2: Specs Comparison
Fossil Gen 5 Calyle Specifications, Features and Price
Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 (44mm) Full Specifications, Features and Prices
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Fossil Gen 5 Calyle||Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 (44mm)|
|Device type||Fitness/Classic smartwatch||Fitness/Classic smartwatch|
|Predecessor||Fossil Gen 4 Explorist||Samsung Galaxy Watch Active|
|Models||—||Bluetooth only, LTE|
|Date released||August, 2019||September, 2019|
|Display size||1.28 inch||1.4 inches|
|Display type||AMOLED, Full color||Super AMOLED, Full color|
|Resolution||416 x 416 px||360 x 360 pixel|
|Input type||3 Physical buttons, Touchscreen||2 Physical buttons, Digital rotating bezel, Touchscreen|
|Case material||Stainless steel||Aluminum|
|Strap material||Stainless steel||Fluoroelastomer (Aluminum)|
|Bezel material||Stainless steel||Corning Gorilla Glass DX+|
|Strap size||22 mm||20 mm|
|Color||Black, Brown, Smoke||Aqua-black, Cloud-silver, Pink-gold|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla Glass||Corning Gorilla glass DX+|
|Dimension||44 x 44 x 12 mm||44 x 44 x 10.9 mm|
|Weight||—||30 grams (aluminum)|
|Waterproof rating||3ATM||Yes, 5ATM|
|Bluetooth||Yes, Bluetooth v4.2 LE||Bluetooth v5.0|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Preloaded sport modes||Yes||39|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||Regular: 24hrs+||Regular usage: 3 days+, Standby :5 days+|
|Charging type||Charging dock||WPC based wireless charging|
|Charging duration||1-2 hours||1-2 hours|
|Operating system||Wear OS||Tizen OS 4.0|
|Chipset||Snapdragon 3100||Exynos 9110|
|CPU||—||Dual core 1.15GHz|
|Companion app||Fossil Q App||Samsung Gear app|
|Compatibility||Android 6.0+, iOS 10.0+||Android 5.0+ & RAM 1.5GB+, iPhone 5+ and iOS 9.0+|
|Payment system||Google Pay||Samsung Pay|
|Customizable strap||22 mm, Yes||Yes|
|Voice Assistant||Yes, Google Assistant||Yes, Bixby|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Fossil Gen 5 Calyle, Manual, Straps||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 (44mm), Straps|
Fossil Gen 5 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2: The Differences
Fossil Gen 5
Active 2 (40/44mm)
1.2 inches (40mm)
44 x 44 x 12 mm
40 x 40 x 10.9 mm
Corning Gorilla Glass
Corning Gorilla Glass DX+
Digital rotating bezel
Battery Life with Always-on
1 day+ (40mm)
Which is Better? My Verdict
- The Active 2 and Gen 5 have very remarkable designs befitting of a modern smartwatch. I think Active 2 which weighs a little less has a more sophisticated design, it’s digital rotating bezel is very innovative.
- Moreover, Tizen OS is still a better operating system than Wear OS as far as I’m concerned. The Active 2 gives you more access to control notifications and find important information compared to Gen 5 where Wear OS offers limited options.
- While each of these two allows you to make and receive calls via Bluetooth connection to your phone, the LTE version of Active 2 is a standalone smartwatch that allows you to make and receive calls independent of your phone (will cost you more).
- While the Active 2 comes with 4GB storage capacity out of which about 2GB is available for use, you get 8GB storage capacity with the Gen 5 which will allow you to store more of your files.
- Google Fit is your fitness companion on the Gen 5, while Samsung Health app is to the Active 2. I personally think the Samsung Health app is a more intuitive app that allows you to manage your fitness goals effortlessly. Moreover, the Active 2 features more preloaded sport modes and more fitness tracking features like ECG and blood pressure tracking that the Gen 5 lacks. It also tracks your sleep more comprehensively, unlike the Gen 5 where you’ve to rely on third-party apps.
- Samsung’s Bixby is your voice assistant on Active 2, while Google Assistant is to Gen 5. I think the Google Assistant is a better and more intelligent voice assistant program than Bixby.
- One advantage of Wear OS over Tizen OS is that you get access to more apps than you can find on Tizen. As per which is a better OS, like I pointed out earlier, I go with Tizen OS.
- Thanks to Snapdragon 3100 chip, the Gen 5 features battery saver feature that allows you to manage battery life and this sees the Gen 5 go for over a day, and with battery saver, it’s over 2 days. However, Active 2 will still keep you going for about 2 days or more with mixed usage and always-on active. In other words, you get to go longer with Active 2.
MY VERDICT: I think the Active 2 is a better smartwatch than Gen 5, yet the Gen 5 is still a great choice. It all depends on your preferences.
Available Best Prices