Huawei skipped the Band 5 to release the Band 6 which automatically succeeds the Huawei Band 4. The Huawei Band 6 is a cheap smartband that costs just about $50, yet it’s a well-designed smartband, loaded with lots of health tracking features and has a long battery life of up to 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it lacks inbuilt GPS, what this means is that you will need carry your phone along every time you choose to track your outdoor locations and routes. Nevertheless, overall, it’s a fine smartband considering the cheap price tag. This isn’t a review though, but a detailed guide that will show you how to setup the Huawei Band 6. If like me you have just received this smartband, the next thing to do is to set it up with a compatible smartphone.
How to Connect Huawei Band 6 to Iphone and Android
The Huawei Band 6 is compatible with both Android 6.0+ and iOS 9.0+ devices. To setup the Huawei Band 6 to work with an Iphone or Android, you will need the Huawei Health app which is the companion app of the smartband. You need the latest version of the app which can be downloaded from Huawei appGallery or you can download it from their official website. The app is also available on Google Playstore and Apple app store. After downloading and installing the app, the next thing is start the setup process. The setup process is the same for both iPhone and Android phone users.
How to Setup Huawei Band 6 for Android and iOS Smartphones
- To setup the Huawei Band 6, press and hold the side button on the device to switch it on. Then choose your preferred language.
- Next, the smartband will instruct you to continue the setup process in the Huawei Health app. You can also download the Huawei Health app by scanning the QR Code and open the link in a browser to get the latest version of the app.
- Next, open the Huawei Health app, find “devices” at the bottom of the screen and tap to open. Tap on add to scan for the Huawei Band 6. Note that the smartband has to be near your phone.
- The Huawei Health app will scan for your Huawei Band 6. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone because the smartband connects to your phone via Bluetooth. So, the app will scan for your smartband, once found, tap on link to pair the two.
- Tap on link to pair the Huawei Band 6 and your smartphone. The smartband will prompt you to pair, tap on the checkmark to pair.
- If pairing is successful, you should see that on the screen. Otherwise, close the app, turn off and turn on Bluetooth, then open the app and continue from step 3.
- Next, the app will require some settings to ensure there is a stable connection between the app and the smartband. Go to setting’s app on your phone, locate the Huawei Health app >>battery and allow the app to run in the background. This will prevent the app from disconnecting from the Huawei Band 6. Tap on done to go to the device dashboard.
- Congratulations 🎊! You have successfully setup the Huawei Band 6 to work with your phone. The smartband will also show the device homescreen with the default watch face.
Configure Health Tracking, Watch Faces and Notifications on Huawei Band 6
- Next, you need to configure a few settings to manage how the Huawei Band 6 works as well as how it tracks your daily activities. From the device’s dashboard, you should see health monitoring, notifications, watch faces and more. For this guide, we will configure the basics.
- Tap on health monitoring to enable sleep tracking, continuous heart rate tracking, stress monitoring and Spo2 measurement.
- Go back to the device’s dashboard and tap on notifications to enable notifications for select apps of your choice. Note that although the Huawei Band 6 has a long battery life of up to 14 days, the more notifications enabled, the greater the impact on the battery life.
- From the device’s dashboard, tap on more in the watch face section to download more watch faces. You can only have a maximum of 13 watch faces on the Huawei Band 6. Moreover, while there lots of watch faces to choose from, many are paid watch faces.
- Below the notifications and health monitoring section is device settings. Tap on it to enable music control on your Huawei Band 6 as well enable alert when the smartband is disconnected from your phone.
How to Use Huawei Band 6
Now that you have configured the basic settings, next is to learn how to use the device. First, you need to know that the Huawei Band 6 supports touchscreen and has a single button by the side. You can only wake the device up by pressing the button. When you swipe left from any other menu apart from the homescreen, it takes you back to the previous menu while pressing the side button will take you back to the homescreen.
- To change watch face of the Huawei Band 6, press and hold on to the homescreen. This will highlight the current watch face, then you can scroll left OR right through the available watch faces to select any of your choice.
- Press the side button to access all the apps on the smartband. Swipe up to see all the apps which includes the sleep app, heart rate, stress, settings app and more.
- Swipe down to access the quick panel section. This contains the settings app, find my phone, do not disturb and other apps.
- Swipe up to access your notifications. Your messages will appear here.
- Swipe left or right from the homescreen to access your favorite apps. More apps can be added by going to the settings app>>display>>favorites. You can also remove and add more apps to your favourite.
This is basically how to setup and use the Huawei Band 6. It is a fine smartband that’s available in six colors; graphite black, amber, sakura pink, amber sunrise and forest green colors. It has a 1.47 inches display powered by AMOLED and the case is made of durable polymer material with straps made of silicone. Battery life is up to 14 days and takes less than 1 hour to fully charge, thanks to its fast charging technology.