So you have just received your new Galaxy Watch 4, what next? You need to set it up to work with a compatible smartphone. Unfortunately, the Galaxy Watch 4 is not compatible with iOS devices, it’s only compatible with Android 13.0 and above and 1.5GB RAM. As far as we know, the Galaxy Watch 4 can’t work unless you set it up with a compatible smartphone. This is unlike the Galaxy Watch 3 which can work even without setting up with a smartphone. Perhaps this is one of the factors associated with a move back to the Wear OS platform. Anyways, this simple guide will show you how to setup the Galaxy Watch 4 to work with a smartphone.
Note that this guide features the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, but the process is exactly the same with the Galaxy Watch 4.
How to setup Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
To setup the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, you will need to install the Samsung Galaxy Wearable app which is the companion app for all Samsung watches. You will also need to install the Samsung Health app in other to view detailed metrics of tracked data. Although, you only need the Galaxy Wearable app to setup and manage how the Galaxy Watch 4 functions. You can install the app from the Google play store. Once installed, proceed with the following steps to setup the Galaxy Watch 4.
- First, you need to power the watch. The top button with red coloring is the power button on the Galaxy Watch 4. Press and hold the button to power the device on.
- Once the watch is turned on, choose your language.
- Choose your country of residence and tap on restart to restart the device.
- As you can see on the watch, it says – continue the process on the Galaxy Wearable app you installed earlier on your phone. So, open the app to continue the setup process.
- Open the Galaxy Wearable app, tap on the profile icon at the top left corner, tap on “add new device” This will scan for the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic.
- You should see the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic from the list, tap on it to pair it with your phone. Confirm the code sent to your watch on the phone to proceed.
- Since the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic runs on the Wear OS platform, you’ll need to accept Google terms. Choose what you wish to accept and continue.
- The Galaxy Wearable app will start downloading the Galaxy Watch 4 plugin. It’s quite a huge file and can take a few minutes to complete.
- After the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic plugin has finished downloading the plugin, it will start setting up the watch and this also will take a few minutes to complete.
- Next, you will need to add a Google account to the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic just like you would when you purchase a new Android phone. With a Google account on the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, you will be able to install apps, access Google maps and other features that need Google services. You can skip this process for now and add it later from the watch by going to the settings app >>Backups and accounts.
- If you’ve used a Samsung smartwatch or smartband before now and you did a backup, you can restore that backup in this stage. Otherwise, skip to continue.
- The Galaxy Wearable app will finish the setup process. This takes a few seconds.
Congratulations! You have successfully setup the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic to work with a compatible smartphone. Next, the watch will prompt you to take a tour of the watch. Follow the prompts to know the basics.
How to Use the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic
- The first thing you should know is that the top button is the power button while the bottom button is the back button. The power button allows you to go back to the homescreen from anywhere on the device, while the back button allows you to go back to the previous menu.
- Secondly, swiping up from the homescreen will allow you to access all the apps on the watch.
- Swipe left to access all the widgets/tiles on the watch. You can add more widgets by tapping on the plus icon. You can also reorder widgets by pressing and holding on to a widget, then moving to a preferred position. To remove a widget, just press the cancel sign.
- Swipe right from the homescreen to access your notifications.
- Swipe down from anywhere to access the quick panel section. This consists of apps like WiFi, headphone, airplane mode, and other icons. You can add more features to the quick panel section by pressing the plus icon at the end of the list.
- To change a Watch face on the Galaxy Watch 4, just tap and hold on the homescreen to highlight the watch face, then scroll through the list and find one of your choice.
- To install a new watch face on the Galaxy Watch 4, find the Google Playstore from the list of apps and tap to open. Find your preferred watch face from Playstore and install it.
- To install an app on Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, find the Google Playstore and tap to open. Find the app of your choice and install it.
- To uninstall an app on Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, scroll up from the homescreen to access all your apps. Tap and hold on to the app you wish to uninstall, you should see a prompt asking if you wish to uninstall, tap on uninstall to remove the app.
This is how to setup the Galaxy Watch 4 to work with a compatible smartphone and basically how to use it.