Samsung Galaxy Watch and Fossil Gen 5 are some of the best rated and most popular smartwatches among smartwatch lovers, while the Galaxy Watch runs on Samsung’s proprietary Tizen OS, the Gen 5 runs on Google’s Wear OS. Each of these two is packed with lots of features that include fitness tracking and productivity apps in a stylish design. Find out the differences between Samsung Galaxy Watch vs Fossil Gen 5, so you know which is better and right for you.
The Galaxy Watch comes in two sizes; 46mm and 42mm, and each of these two are available in LTE and Bluetooth only, while Gen 5 is available in two models; Gen 5 Calyle and Garrett. Both models of Gen 5 have the same features except for the difference in design. This comparison is between the Bluetooth model Galaxy Watch (46mm) vs Gen 5 Calyle.
Samsung Galaxy Watch vs Fossil Gen 5: Specs Comparison
Samsung Galaxy Watch (46mm) Full Specifications, Features and Price
Fossil Gen 5 Calyle Specifications, Features and Price
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Samsung Galaxy Watch (46mm)||Fossil Gen 5 Calyle|
|Device type||Fitness/Classic smartwatch||Fitness/Classic smartwatch|
|Predecessor||Samsung Gear S3||Fossil Gen 4 Explorist|
|Date released||August, 2018||August, 2019|
|Display size||1.3 inches||1.28 inch|
|Display type||Super AMOLED, Full color||AMOLED, Full color|
|Resolution||360 x 360 pixel||416 x 416 px|
|Input type||2 Physical buttons, Physical rotating bezel, Touchscreen||3 Physical buttons, Touchscreen|
|Case material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap material||Leather, Silicone||Stainless steel|
|Bezel material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Strap size||22 mm||22 mm|
|Color||Silver||Black, Brown, Smoke|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla glass DX+||Corning Gorilla Glass|
|Dimension||46 x 49 x 13 mm||44 x 44 x 12 mm|
|Weight||63 grams (excluding straps)||—|
|Waterproof rating||Yes, 5ATM||3ATM|
|Bluetooth||Yes, Bluetooth v4.2 LE||Yes, Bluetooth v4.2 LE|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|GPS||Galileo, Yes, GPS/GLONASS/BEIDOU||Yes|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Preloaded sport modes||39||Yes|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||Regular usage: 3 days+, Standby:10 days+||Regular: 24hrs+|
|Charging type||WPC based wireless charging||Charging dock|
|Charging duration||1-2 hours||1-2 hours|
|Operating system||Tizen OS 4.0||Wear OS|
|Chipset||Exynos 9110||Snapdragon 3100|
|CPU||Dual core 1.15GHz||—|
|Companion app||Samsung Gear app, Samsung Health App||Fossil Q App|
|Compatibility||Android 5.0+ & RAM 1.5GB+, iPhone 5+ and iOS 9.0+||Android 6.0+, iOS 10.0+|
|Payment system||Samsung Pay||Google Pay|
|Customizable strap||Yes||22 mm, Yes|
|Voice Assistant||Yes, Bixby||Yes, Google Assistant|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch, Straps||Charger, Fossil Gen 5 Calyle, Manual, Straps|
Samsung Galaxy Watch vs Fossil Gen 5: The Differences
Fossil Gen 5
46 x 49 x 13 mm
44 x 44 x 12 mm
Corning Gorilla Glass DX+
Corning Gorilla Glass
Physical rotating bezel
Battery Life with Always-on
2 day+ (42mm)
Pay From Watch
Yes, Samsung Pay
Yes, Google Pay
- Design: I’ll say both the Gen 5 and Galaxy Watch are two outstanding smartwatches. Although the Galaxy Watch is slightly bulkier but has a slightly bigger display than the Gen 5. Furthermore, while the Galaxy Watch screen is protected by a more durable Corning Gorilla Glass DX+, Corning Gorilla has been used for Gen 5. The physical rotating bezel of the Galaxy Watch is also a plus, it no doubt makes navigation very easy compared to the Gen 5 with only touch support and physical buttons. Bottom line, each of these two is very easy to navigate.
- Voice Assistant: While Bixby is your voice assistant on the Galaxy Watch, Google Assistant is to Gen 5. Both platforms allow you to use your voice to carry out simple tasks like checking the weather and playing music on your phone. I’ll root for Google Assistant as a better voice assistant than Bixby.
- Storage: While you get 4GB storage capacity with Galaxy Watch out of which about 2GB is available for use, the Gen 5 offers 8GB storage capacity that allows you to store more files on the watch.
- Cellular Although this comparison features the Bluetooth model of the Galaxy Watch, the LTE model comes with e-SIM that enables cellular connectivity that allows you to make and receive calls directly from the watch.
- Fitness Tracking: Both the Gen 5 and Galaxy Watch are marketed as fitness tracking devices. Each of these two will track your steps, distance, heart rate, calories, and more. However, the Galaxy Watch is a more comprehensive fitness tracker. It features more preloaded sport modes and comprehensively tracks your sleep unlike the Gen 5 that relies on Google Fit and other third-party apps to track your active life.
- Battery Life: From users experience, the Galaxy Watch will last longer than the Gen 5. While you can get just over a day with the Gen 5, its about 3 days or more with the Galaxy Watch.
- Operating System: The operating system that powers a tech device is very important, it decides users experience. Tizen vs Wear OS, I think Tizen has it for me. It has a better UX that makes navigation and all very easy. For instance, while you can easily manage notifications and get to recently used app, you get limited features to manage notifications on Wear OS.
Which is Better?
I go with the Galaxy Watch, it’s a more comprehensive smartwatch than Gen 5. Yet, the Gen 5 is still one of the best Wear OS smartwatches, it has a solid build and features the best Wear OS can offer.
Available Best Prices