Fossil Gen 6 is the successor to Gen 5. It’s the newest Wear OS smartwatch to join the Galaxy Watch 4 series that was also recently released. The Gen 6 is powered by Snapdragon 4100+ and comes with an Spo2 sensor for blood oxygen monitoring. It however won’t run on Wear OS 3 just like the new Galaxy Watch 4 series until next year. The Gen 6 comes in two sizes; 42mm and 44mm, and each of these sizes comes with a microphone, loudspeaker, 8GB of storage as well as lots of health tracking features.
Just like older generations of Fossil smartwatches, the Gen 6 is still circular in shape and has a case made of stainless steel. The 42mm is a more compact smartwatch than the 44mm size which is also compact when compared to other smartwatches.
The 42mm size is available in three colors:
- Rose-gold/Purple silicone band – $299
- Rose-gold/Rose-gold stainless steel band – $320
- Gunmetal/Gunmetal stainless steel band – $299
The compatible straps for the 42mm are 18mm standard straps. In the same vein, the 44mm size is available in four colors:
- Black/black silicone band – $299
- Black/Green Camo Grosgrain band – $299
- Black/Brown leather straps – $299
- Smoke/Smoke stainless steel band – $320
Only the (44mm) smoke color with stainless steel straps and (42mm) rose-gold color with stainless steel straps are priced at $320, all other models are priced at $299. The Gen 6 rated 3ATM which means it’s waterproof up to 30 meters. You can wear this to the shower.
Although the 42mm is smaller than the 44mm size, both sizes have the same display size of 1.28 inches that is powered by AMOLED. Navigation is via touchscreen and three physical buttons. The center button is a rotating button that makes it easy to scroll through the list of features. There are also preloaded watch faces to choose from, this will allow you to define your style for every outing.
Fitness Tracking Features
As older generations of Fossil smartwatches, the Gen 6 is also fitness-centered. It’s equipped with a number of sensors like a heart rate sensor, an accelerometer, gyroscope, SpO2 sensor, compass, altimeter, and inbuilt GPS. As a result, the Gen 6 is able to track your daily activities like your sleep, heart rate, floors climbed, steps and calories. The inbuilt GPS will allow you to track your outdoor activities like your routes and locations.
The Spo2 sensor for blood oxygen measurement is new to Gen 6. This feature is long overdue, it’s still a welcome development to know that you can use Gen 6 to measure your blood oxygen levels. There are also preset sport modes to choose from and there are also preloaded fitness apps.
Media and Storage
The storage capacity of Gen 6 has not been increased. It still has an 8GB storage capacity just like the Gen 5. This will allow you to store your favorite tracks and playlists on the watch. It also has a microphone and loudspeaker that will allow you to make and receive calls from the Gen 6 when your phone is nearby.
With Snapdragon 4100+ powering the Gen 6, performance is boosted. Fossil claims the Gen 6 can last up to 24hours+ which is not so great for a modern smartwatch. However, there are battery saver modes that can be activated and this can help you get a little longer battery life. You will have to charge the watch at least once every day, it’s good to know that fast charging is supported which will allow you to get a significant battery level in a shorter time.
The Gen 6 also allows you to manage notifications you receive on your phone. You can also reply to notifications (Android users only). Other features available on the Gen 6 include Google Pay that enables you to make payments directly from the watch. There is Google Assistant that allows you to use your voice to do simple tasks.
Fossil Gen 6 (44mm) Features
- Has a 1.28 inches AMOLED display, while navigation is via touchscreen and 3 physical buttons.
- Features clock, setup alarm, reminders, weather forecast and more.
- Customizable watchface, choose from the many available watchfaces on Playstore.
- Find your phone, control music on your phone or control camera on phone.
- 22mm interchangeable straps.
- 8GB storage capacity that allows you to store and play your favorite tracks on the watch as well stream music from popular services.
- Comes with microphone that allows you access Google Assistant, and allows you to carryout simple tasks simply with your voice.
- Make and receive calls directly from the watch via Bluetooth connection to your phone.
- Waterproof, rated 3ATM (which means 30 meters waterproof). Great for showering and shallow water swimming. Not ideal for diving or deep water swimming.
- Tracks your heart rate, calories, steps, distance, floors climbed, and more.
- Equipped to track your sleep in stages, and allows you to see your sleep trend overtime.
- Equipped with inbuilt GPS that enables you to track outdoor activities such as locations, routes and pace.
- NEW: Features an SpO2 sensor that allows you to measure your blood oxygen levels.
- Features Google Pay that allows you to make payment directly from the watch.
- 24hours+ battery life, and about 2 days with battery manager enabled.