The latest smartwatches from Samsung are the Galaxy Watch 5 and Galaxy Watch 5 Pro both of which come with new features over their respective predecessors. The new watches have stronger Sapphire glass, longer battery life and feature a temperature sensor that will enable you to measure your skin temperature. Moreover, the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro features a route workout that will allow you to add your GPX file formats directly to the watch so that you can effortlessly manage your routes directly from your wrist. The Watch 5 Pro also features turn-by-turn navigation and TracBack features that help make navigating your route easier.
While the Galaxy Watch 5 succeeds the Galaxy Watch 4, the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro succeeds the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. The Galaxy Watch 5 is available in 44mm and 40mm while the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro is only available in 46mm size. Both watches like their predecessors are available in Bluetooth and LTE models.
The difference between the Bluetooth and LTE models is that the LTE model is equipped with an eSIM that enables cellular connectivity on the watch. This makes it a standalone smartwatch that can make and receive calls independent of a smartphone. The LTE model will also be able to receive and reply to messages without connecting to your phone. Meanwhile, the Bluetooth model can do all these but it must connect to a smartphone.
The Galaxy Watch 5 is a premium smartwatch that is built with some of the most durable materials on the market. It’s no doubt a beauty to behold merely looking at the appearance. It has an armor aluminum case while the display is protected by a Sapphire Glass material. It comes with silicone straps which are interchangeable just in case you don’t like the ones that come with it. You can change the straps with 20mm-wide straps for both the 40mm and 44mm.
It comes in two sizes; 40mm and 44mm. The 40mm size has a dimension of 40.4 x 39.3 x 9.8 mm and weighs just 28.7 grams. The 44mm unit has a dimension of 44.4 x 43.3 x 9.8 mm weighing 33.5 grams. Going by the dimensions and weights, both sizes of the Galaxy Watch 5 are compact and lightweight. Although the 40mm is a more compact smartwatch than the 44mm unit.
The 40mm is available in three colors: black, pink-gold, and silver colors, while the 44mm is also available in three colors: black, blue, and silver colors.
The 44mm unit has a 1.4 inches display size and a high 450x450px resolution, while the 40mm unit has a 1.2 inches display with 396×396 pixel resolution. So you can be sure to experience a vivid and colorful display. Both displays are powered by the regular Super AMOLED. Accessing the Galaxy Watch 5 is via the touch-sensitive screen and two physical buttons.
The Galaxy Watch 5 is a fitness-focused smartwatch, and just like the Galaxy Watch 4, it comes with the BioActive Sensor and a handful of other sensors. It features the Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) that enables it to track your body composition, it can measure your muscle mass, body water, BMI, and body fat.
The Galaxy Watch 5 also features Spo2 blood oxygen tracking introduced to Galaxy Watch 3 as well as features ECG tracking and Blood pressure monitoring. These two must be calibrated with the Samsung health monitor before use. An Optical Heart Rate Sensor takes care of blood pressure monitoring while an electrical heart rate sensor takes care of ECG.
The Galaxy Watch 5 will track your steps, calories, distance covered and floors climbed. It will track your sleep in four stages and it will also track your heart rate continuously. There is also stress monitoring and a guided breathing feature that can help you reduce stress.
It comes with an inbuilt GPS that enables outdoor activity tracking for routes, pace, and other related metrics. There are a whopping 96 sport modes and it auto-detects and tracks a select number of activities. Tracked metrics can be viewed from the Samsung Health app.
Out of the box, the Galaxy Watch 5 runs on the Wear OS 3.5 platform with the Samsung One UI 4.5 which is also coming to the Galaxy Watch 4. The new platform brings a significant number of new features that improve usability.
Like the Galaxy Watch 4, the Galaxy Watch 5 is powered by the W920 chipset. This chip has a 5nm fabrication process compared to the 10nm of Exynos 9110 which powers older Samsung smartwatches and even the much anticipated Google Pixel watch. The chip promises fast CPU and GPU performance, and it also comes with a Cortex M55 co-processor that will handle always-on display mode.
Media and Music Storage
The Galaxy Watch 5 comes with a 16GB storage capacity that will allow you to take more of your favorite tracks with you. It has support for popular streaming services like Spotify and Youtube Music. It also has a microphone and a loudspeaker that give you more ways to enjoy music on the watch.
The Galaxy Watch 5 is also a great companion that can improve your productivity. It will allow you to manage notifications you receive on your phone. You can reply to SMS, calls, and other app notifications with your voice, preset quick replies, or just type in your reply. It’s now easier to reply to messages thanks to a qwerty keyboard introduced with the One UI 4.5.
It also features all the basics like timer, stopwatch, find my phone, World clock, and weather update.
The Galaxy Watch 5 is equipped with an NFC chip that enables Samsung Pay which will allow you to make payments directly from the watch. It has support for Google Pay.
The biggest improvement on the Galaxy Watch 5 is the longer battery life. Although not so great, but it’s good to note that you can get a longer battery life from your Galaxy Watch. Samsung says the Galaxy Watch 5 has a 20% longer battery life than its predecessor. You can expect up to 50hrs battery life with the 44mm unit, and a little lower than that with the 40mm unit.
The 40mm size comes with 284mAh battery capacity while the 44mm size comes with 410mAh battery capacity. The 40mm has a slightly shorter battery life compared to the 44mm size.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 (44mm) (LTE) Features
- Has a 1.4 inch AMOLED display with touchscreen support and 2 physical buttons that enable effortless navigation of the tiny interface.
- Certified MIL-STD-810G – A US military grade rating that ensures the watch can withstand harsh weather conditions.
- The LTE model is a standalone smartwatch that allows you to make and receive calls directly from the watch without connecting to your phone. The Bluetooth model supports Bluetooth calling by connecting to your phone.
- Equipped with NFC chip that enables contactless payment on the go with Samsung pay and Google Pay.
- Up to 2 days or more battery life.
- 16GB storage capacity allows you to store your favorite tracks onboard. Also allows you to stream music via Spotify.
- Customizable watch face, and you can choose from other available choices on Google Playstore on Galaxy store.
- Equipped to track your steps, count floors climbed, distance and calories.
- Monitors your stress level and can help you manage stress through the breathing exercise app that guides you through a breathing session.
- Tracks your sleep in four stages; awake, light, deep and REM stages. It’ll also track your blood oxygen during sleep as well as detects and tracks snoring (the phone must be nearby to track snoring).
- Tracks your heart rate continuously, also shows your resting heart rate and heart rate history.
- Has an inbuilt GPS that enables it to track your outdoor routes, real-time pace, distance and more.
- Features ECG app that allows you to take ECG tests directly from your wrist which can help you detect irregular heart rhythms.
- Features a blood pressure app that allows you to monitor your blood pressure from the watch. (Must be calibrated with a traditional blood pressure cuff).
- Features a blood oxygen app that allows you to measure your blood oxygen to help you determine how well your blood absorbs oxygen.
- Up to 96 preloaded sport modes with the ability to auto-track 6 of these.
- Features a Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) sensor that enables the watch to measure your body composition. It will measure your BMI, muscle mass, body water and body fat.
- Features a compass that will allow you to know your orientation.
- Features a temperature sensor that will enable the watch to measure your skin temperature.